Friday, October 11, 2019

Abandonment

That title might seem so intense but it's how I feel, it's how my whole existence feels. I've put my life into this place and in under two hours, they came up with a decision that uprooted my life forever. Thre is honestly so much I could say....I'm not going to say any of the true angry things I feel because what will they do, make me feel better in the present and hurt others in the long run? That isn't my goal. I love Roots. I really love Roots and I think my actions on leaving this place will show that...or maybe not.

In December 2018 my personal account was seized of all its assets. Every penny I had the account was taken out and the account was closed. At the same time, Roots was being evicted due to gentrification. I was the first to hear the news because I was the accountant, I waited 24 hours to tell anyone because I wanted more information from the landlord. All I got from him initially was that we were getting our 30 days. I was scared everyone would leave.

We all sat down and out of the 8 of us, not everyone made the meeting, we decided to stay together. That didn't happen, within 24hours of that meeting people had already started looking for new places. Nic and George had only lived at Roots for 3 to 4 months but they decided to stay. Yessenia had been at Roots for 6 maybe a bit longer. I didn't tell them about the account seizure because I thought everyone would leave and Roots wouldn't survive. I lied.

I don't regret lying at the time and still would have done the same thing. My biggest regret is not telling them sooner. When we moved to Mays and got closer I should have told them but I didn't. We planned on buying Mays and it didn't work out, a lot can be said about that situation and maybe I will at another time but not now. We left Mays and moved to our current place. My partner became the accountant with me and even after multiple times of trying to tell him about what had gone one with the money, he told me not to tell him, he instead told the group. My intention in telling him was for him not to lie for me but so he knew and I wouldn't be alone in telling everyone. I was alone. I've been alone at Roots since than.

After two hour deliberation of what I just told you, they decided to revoke my membership and give me 30 days, with the idea in 6 months if my mental health was better I could maybe come back depending on room and me and George.

The money was seized. I never spent the money on drugs or alcohol. I had issues in between paying roots back because of my addiction byt I never used Roots money on drugs or alcohol. That needs to be very clear

I'm angry, sad, disappointed and hurt by the decisions that have been made and how I've been treated since their decision so I won't go into it now about how I wish Roots had conducted their decision. Their trust was broken but I don't trust them either.

I think it's easy to throw around words like love and family, at this point, I wouldn't call Roots any of that, it's a farce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment